Top Ten Tuesday (008)


 After a twelve hour work day, I'm finally on my laptop and ready to take part in the Top Ten Tuesday - better late than never :))



The Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. My Top Ten Favourite Characters in no particular order:



1. Brienne of Tarth from A Song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. Unswervingly, loyal and embued with bucket loads of integrity, she's the butt of many men's jokes, yet manages to be the turning point for Jaime Lannister, by inspiring him to noble acts of his own. 


2. Mr Thornton in North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I mean move over Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, cause Thornton and Margaret are, in my opinion, an even more compelling couple. Thornton's my biggest crush, cause he's hardworking, and dedicated to his family as well as his employees. He seems outwardly harsh, but he tries to never let anyone down, and contributes to his community.


3. Lata in A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Lata's a wonderfully complex character - a doting aunt, a caring daughter, an inquisitive student. She needs to decide in the end whether she'll be a dutiful daughter or give in to the rebel inside who whispers that she should throw caution to the wind and marry whom she wants, and not who her mother chooses.


4. Peeta Mellark from the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. How can you not love him? He knows what he wants out of life, he's sensitive and vulnerable, yet strong.


5. Captain Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen. He's a hard working man, who created a prosperous new life for himself, when many displayed little faith in him.


6. Fever Crumb from the series by Philip Reeve.  She relies heavily on logic - which is often funny - and very little on instinct and feeling. It's only after some time that she comes to realise that she is not purely logical, and also capable of caring for many people, and loving deeply, and passionately. 


7. Katsa in Graceling by Kristin Cashore. She's kickass...need I say more?

8. Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter by JK Rowling. Well, all the main characters in the book went through a phase of wondering about their popularity - even Hermione when she thinks Ron doesn't like her in the very first one book. Luna's nutty, and doesn't care what anyone thinks, never has and likely never will. She's true to herself and she's a loyal friend.

9. Neville Longbottom in Harry Potter by JK Rowling. He's my favourite under-dog turned unlikely hero.

10. Tris from Divergent by Veronica Rot - It takes a lot of guts to leave behind all that you know, when leaving it means no going back. That's fearless - so dauntless ;-)

If I could add more I'd say Magnus Bane from the Infernal Devises Series by Cassandra Clare, Lord Akeldama in the Gail Carriger Heartless series, Dru Anderson in the Strange Angels series by Lili St Crow/



6 comments:

  1. I like your inclusion of Luna Lovegood and for the best reason. It's the reason I included Stargirl, from Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl! :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a few of my favorites there: Frederick Wentworth, John Thornton, and Brienne of Tarth. For me, watching Brienne influence Jaime Lannister's character for the better is one of the best parts of the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neville is getting lots of well deserved love today! One of these days I'll read Graceling...And Tris is an awesome heroine. Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-WB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you included Brienne and Tris, great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmygoodness! the ones i knew i LOVVVVVEEE!!! makes me want to pick up the ones i hadn't read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PEETAAAA! Also, Luna & Neville, great choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and usually respond - here or on your own blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...